Saturday, July 19, 2014

Homestead Happenings

It is raining here on the homestead today and it is a gloriously beautiful day! 

Rainy days I tend to get more accomplished inside, go figure. I have had a batch of squash, yellow and zucchini waiting on me to work with all week and few more had been added later in the week. Here is a photo of about 1/3 of them. I have cleaned and frozen some and this morning I made luscious Zucchini Bread. As my children were growing up I had to call it "Sweet Bread" and they loved it but if they saw zucchini going into it they would not eat it. So sometime it just rolls off of my tongue as Sweet Bread.

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup oil
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/2 cup chopped nuts

Beat eggs until foamy. Stir in sugar, zucchini, oil and vanilla.
Gradually add dry ingredients and spices. Stir in nuts
Pour into 2 bread pans which have been greased only on the bottoms.
Bake at 325 for 60-80 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely.  
Enjoy!

Here are about 1/2 of the squash I have left to process today. Keeping me busy but I will sure enjoy it in future breads, soups and stews.

Yum, just decided to take a slice of bread mini break. Well worth it.

Mr. Farmer is busy picking up more wood for our siding today. When he gets home it will be quite interesting because he will have to back up the hill on the mud. Praying he stays calm and safe.

To me a lot has been accomplish this week, almost two sides of the house done and my door in the loft has been replace by a huge window. It had been decided that I won't have my balcony off the loft toward the back yard due to my history of self injury. I honestly don't mean to do stupid stuff but it always finds me. But I will have two beautiful porches on our home. One full front porch that is ten feet wide so I will be able to enjoy the storms as they go through the mountain and a back porch that is much bigger than I had planned to prepare vegetables for canning. I am truly blessed.

This is the right side of our home. When Mr. Farmer got all that wood up I had the urge to tell him he had to cut out a spot for a stained glass window I want there. But I did not have the heart to do it. I really would like one there. Thank goodness I didn't buy it. He still has some batten to go up on this side.

OK, this is the left side of out home but for some reason we are looking at it sideways. The roof is on the right here. The area that is not sided yet is the jut out that was made to enlarge our bathroom and utility room. Window is right over my antique cast iron double bowl farm sink. It is wonderful for canning. One side is so deep it fits my 14 quart sized canner in it easily. Meaning a canner that cans 14 quarts at a time. I bought that last year and love it. My old canner finally bit the dust but I used it for 31 years, it only canned 7 jars at a time. So I am very blessed to own a larger canner. This helps the process become a little quicker.

I froze some jalapeno peppers to use in chili during the winter. It looks like I should be picking a lot more.


Thank goodness tonight is leftover dinner night. I think every night this week I tried all kinds of squash recipes and we have some of everything, so it is clean out the refrigerator night and enjoy the recipes again. I will decide if they were keeper recipes are not but honestly, they were all good.

Blessings from Bountiful Homestead!


No comments:

Post a Comment