Monday, July 21, 2014

Food Preservation continues.....

Lets see, yesterday I only canned 4 pints of dill pickles. Doesn't sound like much but I am canning using our burpless cucumbers instead of the pickle cucumbers because they decided not to grow this year. So we will see how the burpless cucumber tastes as a pickle. I have a mess more of them to can later today. I also put up quite a few bags of zucchini in the freezer for breads, soups and stews.

Right now in the canner I am canning 20 pints of yellow squash. It is another "something new" for me to can. Our squash production is prolific this year, all varieties.


To take a little break from canning yesterday, I decided to package some of my Homesteaders soap. I made this soap unscented and it seems to be a slightly harder soap from the Lavendar Soap I usually make. I have been happy with my soap making this year. I only had one batch I had to discard because of a strange chemical reaction and I could not use it. Lesson learned: what pot not to use in soap making.

My next project later this week is Zucchini relish. I found a new recipe and informed Mr. Farmer he will be eating it on his hotdogs and hamburgers. He fully agreed but I also know he wants to eat every bit we grow.

On the menu for dinner tonight will be a turkey, squash, green bean stew with a side of cucumber and tomato salad. YUM! Mr. Farmer is outside working on the siding and it sounds like he is working on the left side where they did not complete yet. So maybe next time I will be able to post a photo of a finished left side of our home.

Blessings from Bountiful Homestead!

No comments:

Post a Comment