Monday, June 16, 2014

Board and Batten days have begun on the Homestead!

Today the process of putting up the board and batten siding has begun. Mr. Farmer and hired hand/friend is outside attaching the studs that the boards will be attached to. It has taken 4 years for us to get to this step. Many of life's happenings have slowed us down but we are here. Below you will see a picture of what the outside of our home on the Homestead will look like.

We should be snug as a bug come this winter. If you can not already tell how excited I am, I am sooo excited, I never thought I would see this day. I have to add, I owe a son a tailgate for his truck now. He was helping Mr. Farmer pick up the wood over the weekend and coming up our steep drive, he lost the whole load of wood and at the same time it bent his tailgate to the point it will not close. It is such a pretty truck and we will have to have it repaired/new one put on for him. But we cannot do that yet, I understand they will be picking up more wood this coming weekend. My son down backs up the steep drive so the wood does not all fall out driving up. I sure could not back up the hill. Thank goodness for blessed sons, I have several very blessed and talented adult sons I appreciate so much. Here is a picture of our beginning stack of wood for the siding.



Gardening has come into full swing also. We have been living off of broccoli and cauliflower and now we have snap peas too. I forgot to take a picture of the peas but I will get it tonight. We are so blessed to be getting such a great bounty of fresh vegetables this year. That and all the hard work Mr. Farmer has been putting into the Homestead.

Right now we are picking per meal but I really should be preserving some for winter. I have added several batches of jam to my stockpile. So far I have made strawberry and pineapple jams. Now if I can keep Mr. Farmer from eating them all before winter would be wonderful.

I love jam in the wintertime. Especially Pineapple Jam, it tastes like sunshine.

Pineapple Jam



1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple in syrup. Or use equilivant of fresh pineapple that has been mashed.
3 cups sugar
1 box pectin

Add enough water to fruit to make 3 1/4 cups.
Place in large pot.
Measure sugar and set aside. 
Mix pectin into fruit.
Place over high heat & stir until it comes to a full boil. 
Add sugar. Boil hard for 1 minutes. Stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and skim off any foam.
Ladle into hot jars. Wipe rims and seal. 
Boil bath can for 15 minutes. Enjoy.

Blessings from Bountiful Homestead!




No comments:

Post a Comment