Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Productive Week!


This past week has been full of fun and adventures here on the homestead. Mr. Farmer is down in the lower pasture starting to run some electric fencing on the bottom half of the heavy fencing we have throughout the homestead. He had a surprise one day, he went down to the lower pastures and some awnry piglets had gotten out of the pasture by pushing the bottom of the fencing and escaping.  Hehehe, I can just picture Mr. Farmer chasing pigs and them out running him but all was good he got them back into pasture. Momma Lucille just stood at the fence line and bellowed at all the commotion. Mr. Farmer said you should have heard one of the piglets when he picked it up. He was screaming like he was being put to death. So hopefully the electric fencing will keep them in the pasture and keep them safe.

Last week, I think it was then anyways, I posted a picture of my Zucchini Bread. Well, I am trying to remember to post the recipes along with the pictures. So here you go the recipe that goes with my Zucchini Bread, so moist and delicious.

Zucchini Bread

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups shredded zucchini
1 cup oil
2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cloves
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

Beat eggs until foamy. Stir in sugar, zucchini, oil and vanilla. Gradually add dry ingredients and spices and nuts. Pour into bread pans that have been sprayed (PAM) only on the bottoms. Bake at 325 degrees for approximately 60-80 minutes. Cool 10 minute. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks. If you can wait that long. We always enjoy warm fresh bread, so it never cools all the way. I store in plastic containers and a lot of the time I freeze the 2nd loaf for later use. ENJOY!


Then I next made my Oat Bread....talk about scrumptious. Here is that recipe before I forget to blog it. I have such a list of things to accomplish my mind goes in a thousand directions.

Oat Bread

1 pkg. dry yeast (I use 1 tablespoon of yeast)
1/2 cup warm water
1 cups of quick oats (or any kind you prefer)
1/2 cup freshly ground whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups boiling water (I use hot tap water)
5-6 cups unbleached flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl combine oats, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt, and butter. Pour boiling water over all the dry ingredients and mix well. when mixture is cooled to a lukewarm stir in the yeast. Stir in approximately half of the flour. Turn onto floured surface and knead in remaining flour. Place in a greased bowl. Cover and let rise until double in size. Punch down. Shape into 2 loaves and place into greased bread pans. Let rise again. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Cool on rack and brush loaves with softened butter for a soft crust. ENJOY!

Nothing like home baked bread! YUM!

One last project that I will mention today is a wreath I decided to make for my bathroom. I had not made a fabric wreath for many many years and to be honest I forgot how long it takes. I actually wore my finger on my right hand to the bone. Probably because I have old pinking shears and you have to cut alot of 2 inch square to complete this wreath. It is worth every millimeter of skin I lost because everything I walk past the bathroom, I smile and enjoy its beauty.


Herb garden is completely planted, lets see what is next I can get into.

Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment